If you're a freelancer and are looking to better your quality of life, consider joining the Freelancers Union. While it might seem like an oxymoron to be both a freelancer and a union member, it's actually a real possibility, and thousands of freelance workers across the nation are already members. This article will tell you all about the Union so you can decide if it is right for you.
About the Freelancers Union
The Freelancers Union is nation-wide membership organization that has the goal of building a social safety net for America's freelance workforce. The best part is that it is free to join, so if you are interested in checking it out there is nothing to lose. The benefits of membership are many, and the main perks are highlighted below.
Health care has surely been in the news in recent times, and freelancers are exactly the type of workers who stands to benefit the most from more affordable health care. Often, a freelance writer will make too much to qualify for Medicaid, but will not make enough to be able to afford an insurance plan on his or her own.
While it is still not certain how the health care laws passed in 2010 will impact freelance writers, the Freelancers Union has been attempting to help solve the insurance problem for some time.
- Health Insurance - In some states, like New York, freelancers are offered PPO (Preferred Provider Organization) or high-deductible plans through the Freelancers Insurance Company. In other states, insurance is offered through UnitedHealthcare's Golden Rule Insurance Company.
- Dental Insurance - Eligible freelance union members can enroll in dental insurance through the Guardian Life Insurance Company.
- Disability Insurance - Also offered through Guardian, disability insurance will ensure that you keep making an income if you are injured and unable to work for an extended period of time.
- Life Insurance - Guardian also provides Term Life Insurance for you, your spouse, or your children.
- Mental Health - A network of mental health providers has also been provided especially for freelance writers through the union.
To see what kinds of policies are available in your area, visit the insurance page and enter your zip code.
401K Retirement Plans
Saving for retirement can be a real challenge for freelance workers, and the freelance union offers a 401K plan that is superior to others you could get on your own.
- There is no minimum amount per fund to get started.
- You have a maximum annual contribution of $16,500, plus profit-sharing from your business.
- Diversification among vetted funds is available.
- Administration is handled for you.
- You can contribute either automatically or by check.
- IRS compliance is also monitored for you.
Membership has its privileges, and all members of the Union are eligible to enjoy benefits from various business around the country. Discounts are available for gym and yoga studios, movie tickets, summer camps, rental cars, hotels, office supplies, and even workspaces.
One thing that all freelancers are looking for at all times is their next job. The Union maintains an up to date list of job openings that members can browse at their leisure.
With a free membership fee and all these benefits, what are you waiting for? Sign up for the Freelancers Union and get involved. There are also various political organizations that you could become active in that are working to improve the working conditions for freelancers everywhere. This is a great organization with a noble goal of making your life better. Sign up and see what they can do for you.