Why Take Online Classes?
Online classes are perfect for freelancers for a variety of reasons:
- Take classes when you have time in your schedule
- Learn skills that will help you land new jobs
- Finish that degree you didn't have time for before
- Learn from teachers who are experts in their field
- Network with others who share the same interests
Where to Take Online Courses in Writing for the Web
There are many online classrooms where you can take online courses in writing for the Web. These classes can be found at accredited colleges as well as in workshops given on prominent Web sites. The following sites offer online classes that can help you attain a degree or beef up your resume:
- International Webmasters Association - Learn the basics of Web content writing.
- Media Bistro - Learn all about writing for the Web. Classes on this site range from $15 to several hundred, depending on the duration and complexity of the course. Many famous writers and editors teach courses on this Web site.
- Online Workshops - Take a variety of courses in online writing on this Web site.
- Gotham Writers' Workshop - Learn essential writing skills with these online workshops.
What to Look For
If you've never taken online classes before, it is important to check out everything you can about a business or college offering classes. If you want the classes to count toward an accredited degree, or be transferred at some point to another college, it is important that you find out what the accrediting agency is for that particular college or university. The two accrediting agencies in the United States are the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Online courses should tell students what will be offered and what is expected of them. A clearly written syllabus will include what books are necessary, how the class will be run and at what times, a complete course outline and expected outcomes at the end of the course. If the syllabus seems unclear, ask for clarification from the professor or institution offering the course.
Interaction With a Teacher
Nothing is more frustrating than having a question and not being able to get your teacher to answer it. Make sure that you have contact information for your teacher so that you can communicate should problems arise outside of class.
Tuition varies widely with online classes. This is based largely on whether the course counts towards college credit, or if it is offered mainly to improve one's writing skills. Courses that simply teach a simple skill, such as how to write SEO content, will cost significantly less than a college level course taught at an accredited university.
Free Online Writing Courses
There are free online writing courses you can take, but the quality isn't always as high as that of a college or university. The following Web sites offer free online writing courses:
- College Degree lists 50 free online writing courses offered by major universities.
Additional LoveToKnow Resources
Online writing classes offer those seeking a degree a chance to do so without quitting their jobs. Freelance writers can also gain new skills from online courses. Online learners can take their classes when it is convenient, and they often save in tuition costs as well. For those on a budget, there are also a multitude of free online writing classes available. All you need to succeed is a computer and some free time in your schedule. To learn more about taking classes online, visit LoveToKnow College.